Monday, August 17, 2015

Never Ever Have A Naked Door!

Hey, y'all! Good morning! 

Today I want to share with y'all a wreath I made over the weekend. Ok, actually it was Saturday night. And my cat helped me. You might say, "What in the world?! I didn't know Jennifer was so dang wild"! Yeah, I get crazy. 

My four older babies wanted to stay over at Nanna & Poppa's, so it was just baby and me. And Gus the cat. 

I had cleaned the school room/craft room that day, and it was so nice and tidy that I had to get in there and make something! "Where's the glue gun? Who's had my glue gun"? Anyone else that problem. The kids LOVE making things with my glue gun and it's ALWAYS missing. ::growl:: Back up off my craft stuff! 

I started out by gathering my supplies. 


A straw wreath (leave the plastic on it)
Assorted colors of yarn 
Scissors
Pinking shears
Glue gun
Glue sticks (I liked to have never found those little invisible suckers)
Pom Pom maker
Pins
1/3 yard of the fabric that you want your wreath wrapped in
A scrap of fabric about 22" x 11"
A scrap of fabric about 3" x 5"
Craft Cat (this isn't absolutely necessary, but I can't promise that yours will turn out like mine did if you don't have one)

I promise y'all that this is easy and you don't have to be Crafty McCracterson in order to make this. Having a crafty bone not required!

After I found all my supplies, I took the fabric that I wanted the wreath to be wrapped in and cut it into strips about 3" wide. 


I mean seriously! Look how much help my cat was. "You cut while I hold the fabric still". -Gus

I used pinking shears because I prefer the zig zag look instead of the straight raw edge. After the fabric was cut into strips, I pinned the end of one of the strips into the back of the wreath and began wrapping the fabric around, pulling it pretty tight. 


When the strip of fabric was completely wrapped, I repeated the process and pinned another strip on until the wreath was completely covered. 


You want to be sure that your strip runs out on the backside of the wreath so your pins won't show. You can cut some off if yours aren't ending on the back. 

I got the fabric that I wanted to make the bow out of and glued down the top and bottom seams. Be sure not to use too much glue because you don't want your glue to bleed through to the front side of your fabric. You can put something inside  to protect it if you need to, but don't forget it's in there and glue it up. 


"Yeah, that looks pretty straight to me". 
-Gus

Then I folded over the outside edges and glued them down just like I did the top and bottom seams. 


Then I got the little scrap of fabric and glued it's side seams down. Don't glue it's top and bottom down until you get it around your other fabric or you'll just end up with a loop and what are you going to do with that??? Nothin'.


Scrunch the middle of your bow part up until it resembles a big bow that your mom used to make you wear. Then wrap the small scrap around it making sure your seams are all facing up. 


Glue the end of the small piece and press down. It's ok if the glue bleeds through here. 

Make 8 pom poms out of your choice of yarn colors. I used 4 different colors and made 2 of each color. Be sure and tie a long piece (24" or so) of yarn around your pom pom so you'll have something to hang it up by. 

(I forgot to take pictures of me making the pom poms because I was trying to hurry and get finished so I could go get an Oreo Blast from Sonic... Ya know how it is.)

I tied all the pom pom strings in a loop knot, so I'd have something to hang the wreath by. Leave about 4" - 7" between the knot and the pom pom. Be sure and vary your lengths so they won't all pile up on each other. 

I cut off the excess yarn from the knot and pinned the knot to the backside of the wreath. And there's your hanger. Don't accidentally cut off your pom poms!



Then I turned the wreath right side up and glued the bow (seam side down) to the wreath. Press down while the glue dries so your bow gets a good hold or you might find your bow out in the yard. 


Tada! All finished! I ALWAYS have something pretty hanging on my doors. I think everyone should! I think it makes your house look more cute and welcoming. 


Now you have an excuse to go to Hobby Lobby! Here's a coupon that is good through Saturday to use on one non-sale item you purchase. 


Now get busy making something pretty to hang on those doors. Happy crafting! 

❤️ Jenn





















No comments: