Monday, November 17, 2014

Lysol In One Hand, Coffee In The Other

Good chilly morning to y'all! I'm getting a late, slow start today. I am Zombie Mom today, but instead of wanting brains, I want coffee. Roxie has been waking up crying the past couple of nights and Cash got a tummy bug. I think Roxie's is that she's teething. Poor little Cash runs to the bathroom and gets right back to playing. Lysol is the word of the day today! 

Caleb got home at 6 am on Sunday morning and I woke up when I heard him pulling in. He went straight to bed and I got to crafting and cooking. I made a big breakfast and the RCC Gang and I went to church. I sure hope he enjoyed those few hours the house was quiet. That's rare. When we got home, I cooked a quick lunch and tried a new cornbread recipe. It was good! It's almost exactly like what the Hotlink Place makes. Here is the recipe that I used:

Cheesy JalapeƱo Cornbread

2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread
2 eggs
2/3 cup of milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup chopped jalapeƱos 
1 can cream style corn

Preheat oven to 375*. Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Grease 9x9 pan and pour in mixture. Bake until done and a golden color. 

I really love this time of year and all my special Christmas ornaments that I have accumulated over the years, and I'm sure Roxie will too, so they're staying in a box this year. I plan on making all of our ornaments that we will be using. You'd think after five kids, I'd be a pro at guarding the ornaments on the tree. I got other things to do besides be a Christmas Tree Security Guard! So homemade yarn ornaments it is! One of my fave Christmas crafts I'm doing this year is the Anthropology-inspired felt garland. I did this little bit while I was having my coffee before church yesterday. 


I've got a long way to go. If Roxie pulls this off the tree, it'll be just fine. Just wipe the slobber off and throw it back up there. We've got our tree up in a new place this year. I'm not sure that I'm going to like it, but we shall see. I'm also going to make a lot of pom pom balls to hang on the tree. 

Rylie (and Roxie) working on our tree last year. 

Next Sunday is our church's Thansgiving dinner and I plan on making a dessert. I'll be scouring Pinterest to try and find a good recipe. The thing with trying out new recipes is, they can turn out to be a flop. I have followed recipes to the T, do exactly like they said, and they turn out as a Pinterest Fail. Here is a quick, easy Banana Pudding recipe that will be sure to please your holiday guests. (Don't be alarmed by the name.)

Microwave Banana Pudding

3/4 C sugar
1/4 C flour
2 C milk
3 eggs
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla
Box of vanilla wafers
2-3 bananas

Mix sugar, flour and milk in a microwave safe mixing bowl. Whisk all the lumps out and microwave for 5 minutes. Whisk while adding in the eggs and microwave for 4 minutes. Add in the stick of butter and the vanilla. Whisk until the butter is completely melted. Pour over cookies and bananas and continue layering until mixture is gone. Top with cookies. Set in refrigerator until cooled. 

Rylie saw the 'Nilla wafers at Brookshire's the other day and asked if we could get the stuff for a banana pudding so she could make it. She enjoys helping me in the kitchen. Makes me proud! 

I guess Rowdy needed to see how it's done. 

Last night I told Caleb I was going to make him a dessert and held up the box of cookies. He made a joke about instant pudding and we had a good laugh. Please don't feed your family banana pudding with instant pudding in it. Don't be that wife. Homemade is super easy and tastes a million times better. Ray Charles can see that! 

No, I don't cook "good food" while Caleb is gone working. I save the good stuff for when he comes home. The kids and I eat a lot of soups, chili and stews. We do spaghettis and things that can be eaten as leftovers. Now you may ask yourself, can't everything be eaten as leftovers? I'm sure it can, but not everything tastes good as leftovers. Cooking for your family makes a messy kitchen. Did I mention I left mine a disaster last night? Time to clean it up and get ready for school! 

What Christmas crafts are you making this year? 

What will you be cooking for your family this week?

Send me an email at calebcrawley@aol.com with your ideas!





No comments: