Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Parties for Penny Pinchers

Hello. Yep, you read that right. Not a whole lot of enthusiasm yet, but I'm getting caffeinated, so give me time. ::sigh:: Let me see, hello! Good glorious morning! Yep, coffee is working. 

So it's supposed to be "arctic-like" today. Yikes! I try not to make wasted trips to town (unless I just REALLY need a Diet Dr Pepper with coconut cream pie flavoring), so I'm going to try and hold off on the grocery store until RCC #1 has dance this evening. Reckon they'll still have milk and bread? I sure hope they do! All you Dooms Day Preppers, leave enough for my crew, aight?! When Caleb wakes up, I'm probably going to sweet talk him into firing up the fireplace. WHY can't I keep a fire going?! Don't get me wrong, I keep HIS fire going, just not my fireplace fires. It's a skilled craft that I am not skilled in. 

Last night, we had Remmi a little party. It was so simple and super and fab. Y'all Pittsburg people know we got an awesome new store (wow, easily entertained much?) way out here where we live and, sadly, I go there nearly every single day for something. It's 1.2 miles down the road, so I don't mind making trips to it. Shout out, DG! What what! I got the majority of the stuff for her party there. 


The paper fans & tissue balls ($1-2 per pack) the plates, cups, most of the food, and even some of her gifts. 


Yep, I'm that mom. Hey, they have some good stuff and I like to take advantage of it while I can, ya dig? The stuff I got her was actually pretty cool. One of the things I got her was a porcelain tea set ($5). I'd rather walk on tacks than buy those cheap plastic toys that fall apart in kids' hands. [And for the record, no, we do not go ape and buy our kids millions of gifts that they will play with for a week and not appreciate, just for the sake of them having something to rip open. In my opinion, that is ridiculous and that causes them to not appreciate their things because there is an abundance of toys. I don't want to rob them of their childhood, I just refuse to raise ungrateful children.] Last week I decided I wanted to make Rem a pretend stove for her birthday. She likes to "cook", so I figured she'd like it. I was wrong. She loves it! Jackpot! I bought a $10 nightstand at a store downtown (Max and Zoe's-thanks, Elance!) painted it with some leftover hot pink paint, painted "burners" on the top and Caleb screwed on some wooden drawer pulls to look like knobs. I'm not 100% happy with the way it turned out, simply because Caleb was gone working and I went ahead and painted it and could not/would not cut a perfect circle hole in the top for her to have a sink. I told my friend, "Rem doesn't have Pinterest, so she doesn't even know she's missing out on a sink!" I intended on making the drawer pull down like a real oven, well y'all know I put it off until it was too late and I couldn't. But it turned out pretty great and she was thrilled! Yay, Momma and Daddy! 

I've got about $20 in this and she couldn't be happier. I got a wire rack (from DG, of course) and put it in the top drawer so it's like an oven. All her fake food and dishes go in the bottom drawer. 

I actually went to Hobby Lobby last week to buy party supplies and put a bunch of stuff back because I knew "my dollar store" had most of it. Why pay more if you don't have to??? I ended up only getting two things there. No, I don't have a fever. I just like to save a little money, especially since I don't have deep pockets. Caleb hauls cows and is self-employeed, so we are usually either eating high on the hog or barely making it. I don't like the barely making it, but we make it work. That's life. Pull up your bootstraps and get on with it. I got the tassel garland ($4.99) and some little ice cream cups ($2.99) there. I got the Happy Birthday banner on clearance at Walmart for fifty cents! I love a good deal.
She wanted a bwoo cake, I made her a bwoo cake. We had punch, cookies, Olaf's noses (carrots), snowballs (marshmallows), and Nanna brought over fried chicken with all the sides! That was just perfect! 

The birthday girl blowing out her candle. 

I pray our babies always remember how special they are to us. I saw a quote once that said, 'Children are a poor man's riches'. Hmmm. Pretty accurate, don't ya think?

Last night while I was cleaning up, Rowdy asked me if he could have something homemade. That's a pretty cool thing for an 8 year old boy to ask for. Money does not make a great life. Sometimes it makes life easier, but not necessarily better. So the moral of the story is, you don't have to spend loads of money on your child to make them feel special. It's the effort and love you put into it. 


 Stay warm and cook something hearty for your family today!

❤️ Jennifer





No comments: