Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Cheap Fun

Goot morntin! It's just the RCC Gand and myself today. Caleb got home at 4am yesterday and had to leave yesterday evening (Eat more beef). No good. I had laid out chicken for supper yesterday and since Caleb had to leave in a hurry, I just cut it up into small pieces and fried it. I was too sad/lazy to oven cook it. This may come as a shock to you, but I never fry anything. Like, never. I can count on my finger the times I have fried food for my fam. It really is a rare treat for us. I literally turned the stove off and told the kids to go to bed. My kitchen is a WRECK! 

My posse is still asleep (except Roxie the rooster) and I'm low on milk and I have some bread I need to use up, so I'm going to make them cinnamon toast for breakfast. Super easy and I'd say it counts as "cooking". This is how I do mine: 
Set your oven to broil. Butter your bread and place it on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle on some sugar, then a little cinnamon and stick the pan of bread in the oven. WATCH THE BREAD! It will get black real quick. Voila! There you have cinnamon toast. 
Pretty tricky recipe, huh? Now let me tell you how my dear sweet Nanny made me cinnamon toast once when I was a helpless, innocent child. Nanny woke me up one school morning and handed me a plate of cinnamon toast. Yeah, they used to cook me breakfast and bring it to me. I had a hard life. I thought it tasted a little funny, but I just thought it's because I had just woke up and wasn't awake good. I ate the toast and went on my way. I thought about that toast while I was school. When I got home, I told Nanny that my breakfast wasn't very good. She was a little confused and didn't understand why. She said she did it like she always did and got the butter out of the refrigerator to check it. Guess what? The "butter" was leftover mashed potatoes in a Country Crock bowl! So just to catch you up, she smeared mashed potatoes on some bread, sprinkled on sugar and cinnamon and fed it to me. And I ate it. All of it. So gross. Thanks, Nanny lol! Did I mention I never store leftovers in butter bowls? 

I had to make a quick trip to Walmart yesterday since I had let Rox run COMPLETELY out of diapers! No pull-ups, no diapers, no wipes. How does that happen? All at once everything was all out. So I had to put a pair or Rem's panties on Rox and go to the bank for Caleb and THEN to Walmart. I was scared she was going to pee [or even worse, poop] everywhere. I got the kids out of the car, grabbed a buggy and basically sprinted back to the diaper section. I grabbed a [huge] box of diapers, ripped it open and laid Roxie down in the buggy and got a diaper on her. I felt like I could finally breathe! Whew! Victory! Now I'm all stocked up and hopefully we won't have to do that again anytime soon. While I was there, I got a brown shirt so I could start on Roxie's engine costume. I'm pretty pumped about it and hopefully it'll turn out and look like a Pinterest costume and not a Pinterest fail. [I talk about Pinterest everyday, are you on there yet?!] 

With as many kids as we have, I like to find fun, cheap things to do. During the summer, we would go to free splash pads and water parks. But now it's too cold for all that! Sometimes we go to the mall and let the kids eat Chick-Fil-A and jump on those big trampolines, play in the arcade and play golf. What we really love to do is go to the show. Have you tried taking a family of 7 to the movies? Yeah, let me take out a loan first. We (I) LOVE to go to the show! If you live around here and you're going to the movies in Longview, then bless your heart, you're missing out! Morris Twin Cinema is where it's at! They only show two movies at a time, but the place is amazing. Very old school. I'm into that. Admission is, get this, $1.50. No, not $14 a person like big mega theaters, just a buck fifty. And the popcorn, ooh the popcorn, it's da best! Two large cokes and a big ole popcorn for, like, $8. Check out their website (MorrisTwinCinema.com) and see if they're playing anything you want to see! The theater is about 15 miles from where we live. Again, way closer than Longview! Box Trolls is coming soon and my kids can't wait to see it. I had never heard of Box Trolls, I just know I pulled up to my house one day and Caleb had cut holes in some boxes for the kids and they were running around outside calling themselves box trolls. [See what happens when kids play outside and use their imagination?] I'm ALL about that! 

What something y'all like to do for fun on the cheap? 

❤️ Jennifer 








No comments: